1#
發表於 2012-12-2 19:36:52 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽
24,000 'died because of cold homes' last winter:
Fears grow that figure could be higher this year because of spiralling bills
去年冬天,24,000人 “死於冰冷的家”:
因日益高企的賬單,對此數字可能增高的憂懼日益增長

By Sean Poulter
作者Sean Poulter

Spiralling energy bills contributed to 24,000 deaths last winter, as many elderly people cut back on their heating.
在去年冬天,不斷高企的能源賬單導致了24000人死亡,許多年長者減少了他們的取暖。

The shocking toll will increase fears that the number will be even higher this year because of further increases in energy bills and warnings of a particularly cold winter.
這令人震驚的人數增加了人們的不安,而隨著進一步增長的取暖費用以及寒冬來襲的警告,這一數字在今年甚至會更高。

The figures for ‘excess winter deaths’, published yesterday by the Office for National Statistics, reveal the majority of victims were over 75.
國家統計局於昨天公布的“過寒死”數字,暴露出主要受害者是那些超過75歲的老人。

Cold homes, caused by factors including high energy costs and poor insulation, are known to exacerbate a number of underlying medical conditions in the elderly, leading to more deaths during the winter.
包括高昂的取暖支出和可憐的保暖在內的多種因素所造成的“冰冷的家”,已被認為惡化了許多老年人基本醫療條件,並將導致更多的人在冬季死亡。

A recent report by Age UK estimated that cold homes are costing the NHS in England £1.36billion a year in treatments, mostly for cardiovascular diseases such as strokes and heart attacks.
一份Age UK最新的報道估計,“冰冷的家”已經使英國國家醫療服務體系在英國一年花費了13.6億英鎊治療費,大部分是用以治療例如中風、心臟病等心血管疾病。

The 24,000 figure relates to the period from December to the end of March – which was a relatively mild winter.
24000個數字涉及期間從12月到3月底這一相對溫和的冬天內。

Britain experiences much higher death rates than countries in Scandinavia which have much colder winters but where there has been huge investment in insulating homes.
英國有著比斯堪的納維亞國家更高的死亡率,而那裏的國家則有著更加寒冷的冬天,以及更巨大的房屋保暖投資。

Maria Wardrobe, of fuel poverty charity National Energy Action, said: ‘The figures demonstrate that if you are a vulnerable person living in England or Wales then even a comparatively mild winter can still be deadly.
國家能源行動——燃料貧乏關愛組織的Maria Wardrobe說:“這個數字顯示,如果你是一個生活在在英格蘭或者威爾士的、易患病的人,就算是一個相對溫和的冬天對你而言都是致命的。”

‘The fact that our Scandinavian neighbours experience much harsher winters and have nowhere near the same level of winter deaths means that we should not accept this as inevitable.’
事實上是,我們在斯堪的納維亞的鄰居有著更嚴酷的冬天體驗,但是與這個死亡水平卻相差甚遠,這意味著我們不能接受這個死亡率是不可避免的。”

Excess deaths for winter 2011/12 were down by 8 per cent compared with the previous year but Michelle  Mitchell, charity director general of Age UK, said the numbers were still unacceptably high.
She said: ‘Every single excess winter death is preventable.
2011-2012年度的過寒死數量與上年度相比下降了8個百分點,不過Age UK的慈愛總幹事Michelle  Mitchell說:“這個數字仍然是高到無法接受。

‘Those living in the coldest homes are three times more likely to die a preventable death than those living in warmer ones.
在可預防的死亡中,那些生活在最寒冷家中的人們,死亡率三倍於生活在溫暖家中的人。

‘The only way to make a sustained and long-term impact on excess winter deaths is by investing in making Britain’s homes more energy-efficient
對過寒死產生持續而一貫影響的唯一方法,就是投資英國的房子,使它們更加的高效能。

‘The Government must also invest in a major energy-efficiency programme to help insulate older people against the cold weather and the high cost of energy.
政府也應該在主要的高效能項目上投資以幫助老年人保暖,來應對寒冷的冬天以及高額的取暖費。”

Dave Timms, of Friends of the Earth’s Warm Homes campaign, also called for government action, saying: ‘The Government must take action to tackle this homemade humanitarian disaster by ensuring we all have warm and energy-efficient homes.’
地球之友溫暖之家運動的Dave Timms也呼籲政府行動起來,他說:“政府必須行動以確保我們每個人都有溫暖而高效能的房子,以阻擋這些來自家庭的人道主義災難。”

Saga’s director general, Dr Ros Altmann, described the figure as shocking and called for action on prohibitively expensive energy bills.
Saga的局長,Ros Altmann博士在描述這些數字時用了觸目驚心一詞,而且呼籲一場禁止昂貴能源賬單的行動。

She said: ‘Much more needs to be done. In a survey of 8,500 over-50s, 58 per cent were already worrying about the costs of heating their homes this winter and more than a third were already struggling with heating bills.
她說:“有更多的工作需要被做好。在有數據統計的8500名50歲以上的人當中,58%的人已經開始擔心這個冬天取暖所要花的費用了,而超過三分之一的人已經掙扎在取暖賬單上了。

‘Energy prices are already much higher than last winter and they are predicted to rise further which could leave many more older people at risk.
今年能源的價格已經比去年貴了很多,而且還有可能進一步增長,而這將使更多的老年人身處險境。

原文:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240716/24-000-died-cold-homes-winter-Fears-grow-figure-higher-year-spiralling-bills.html

翻譯:
http://www.ltaaa.com

我們不禁要問:究竟是什麼樣的國家才會讓國民活活凍死在自己家中?究竟是什麼樣的國家才會一面高舉言論自由,一面卻不給老百姓基本的生活需要?

主題

好友

積分

公民

自費五毛人士:每發一帖自己獎勵自己五毛,五美分黨所痛恨的敵人

2#
發表於 2012-12-2 19:37:27 |只看該作者

評論:以下是最受歡迎的評論

1.- David, Poole, United Kingdom, 30/11/2012
But don't worry folks, as I'm sure you'll all be warmed by the knowledge that our Government is giving £9 billion of our hard-earned money to those in need around the world,
不過大夥別擔心,當你們知道政府要將90億來之不易的英鎊撒給全世界需要幫助的人們時,我敢保證當你們全身都會暖起來的,

including dictators, terrorists, those who hate the West, and countries now far wealthier than our own.
這些受援助者包括獨裁者、恐怖分子,那些痛恨西方世界的人,以及那些現在比我們還富有的國家。

Responsibility for the deaths of our senior citizens through hypothermia lies squarely at Westminster's door.
致使我們年長者低溫而死的責任就躺在議會的大門那兒

2.- K. Martin, Bristol, France, 30/11/2012 14:02
The government are more interested in saving 300 lives by increasing the price of alcohol..What a country!
政府對提高酒價從而拯救300條人命更感興趣……這個國家怎麽了!

3.- BagLady, Sihanoukville, United Kingdom, 30/11/2012 11:27
What an horrible way to die. Freezing to death in your own home.
多麼可怕的死法。在你自己的家裏凍死了。

Nothing will be done,of course.
當然,什麼都做不了。

A few hundred thousand dead old people will free up hospital beds, save on pensions and make room for the +180,000 immigrants arriving each year.
成千上萬死去的老人能給醫院騰出點床位,省下點退休金,以及給每年湧進來的18萬移民讓出地方。

4.- Paul, London, United Kingdom, 30/11/2012
Of course more will die and these rich politicians couldn't care less!
當然更多的人將死去,而那些富有的政治家則一點都不在乎!

They far prefer taxing us to death and posing in front of international TV cameras throwing money around abroad,
他們更喜歡課稅課死我們,然後在國際電視臺前把大筆銀子灑向國外,

makes a much better record of their time in power,
使他們在當權時的記錄更好看點,

who wants pictures of content OAP's to be the highlight of a career in "public service."
誰希望養老金的內容成為他們職業生涯裏“公共服務”一項的亮點。

I’d love to see them experience some real everyday hardships.
我真希望看到他們體驗到點真是的、每天都在發生的艱難困苦。

Vote UKIP!
投英國獨立黨一票

5.- stevevf, barcelona, 30/11/2012 14:01
I cannot believe that people die in their homes due to cold, 30 yrs ago 90% of people had no central heating,
我無法相信人們會因為寒冷而在他們自己的家裏死去。30年前,90%的人們沒有集中供熱

I remember waking up with frost patterns on the inside of the windows. But, fuel prices cannot keep going up as they do to please shareholders.
我記得醒來時在窗戶內層結的霜花。但是燃料價格不可能像他們現在做的這樣,為了討好股東們而持續走高。

We also need real inflation numbers : Energy, food, clothes, and travel, that is were nearly everybodies wages go.
我們還需要真正的通貨膨脹數字:能源、食物、衣服還有交通,這差不多是每個人的工資了。

I believe real inflation is over 10%
我相信真實的通脹率已經超過10%了。

6.- lightfoot, london, 30/11/2012 12:10
why bother printing this article dm?
幹嘛勞煩你寫這篇文章?

no one does,did or will care about the people in this country.
沒有人關心,曾經關心或是將要關心這個國家。

we starve,freeze and governments and energy companies and the rich crack open the champagne with a smile.
我們饑寒交迫,而政府和能源公司還有那些富人們微笑著打開香檳。

i used to be so mad about how poor, normal people have become,now i have given up.
我以前對普通人為何如此貧窮而感到非常的憤怒。現在我已經放棄了。

what a lovely country we live in
我們生活在一個多麼可愛的國度裏啊!

7.- Julia, Herts UK, 30/11/2012 13:27
What is the point of reporting this fact unless we can do anything about it.
什麼實事也不做,就弄這麼一個報導有什麼意義?

The power companies are making a fortune and using green lies to justify it.
那些強力的公司正在發財然後用生硬的理由來為其辯護。

The papers and tv have villified the elderly for living too long and giving the immpression that they are non tax payers that are a drain on the NHS and caring costs of decent tax payers.
報紙電視一直在中傷老者們活的時間太長,來造成一種的假象,好像年長者是使英國國家醫療服務體系流失資金的非納稅人,而他們才是關心正經納稅人的人。

There are too many of them due to the post war baby boom and even have their own pathway to death if they are sick or brave enough to go into hospital.
這些由於戰後的嬰兒潮而過多的老人,如果患了病或是足夠勇敢去看醫院,那就等於判了死刑。

I wonder if this heat or eat policy is a well thought out plan by grey suits, rather than a circumstance that no one saw coming.
我想知道這些保暖或溫飽政策是否與其說是那些灰西裝們深思熟慮的計劃,到不如說是沒人曾預料到的現實。

I think it is about time we had some thought for the people who grew up with ration books,smog open fires playing on bomb sights , and went to work at the age of 15 and continued to 65.
我想現在是時候來關心那些伴隨著配給票證簿、在煙火中玩投彈瞄準器(這句吃不準什麼意思),15歲開始幹活直到65歲人們

Giving the next generation a good life and example. More respect and thought in reporting may help young folk to fight our corner instead of seeing us as a burdon.
我們給下一代人以好的生活和好的榜樣。在報道中多點尊敬和關心也許能幫助年輕的人們來爭取我們的利益,而不是讓他們覺得我們是負擔。

WE pay tax the same as them
我們跟他們一樣要交稅。

8.- JWLS, Sunderland, United Kingdom, 30/11/2012 11:41
Many more will die to slate the greed of the BIG 6 energy companies and a government who DOES NOTHING to stem the extortionate price rises.
越來越多的人將死去來為六大能源公司的貪婪封頂,而政府卻對阻止誇張的漲價毫無作為。

The energy companies like the government do not give a damn about the consumer and how many die.
那些能源公司希望政府能他媽的毫不關心消費者以及有多少人死去。

The government madcap latest green energy scheme will only put people under more financial hardship !!
政府輕率而遲滯的綠色能源計劃將置人民於更加嚴酷的金融困境中!!

9.- Dutchy, Windy city, 30/11/2012 13:05

That is so sad ! Can we not provide elderly with a winter package ?
這可真是悲哀!我們不能為老人們提供冬天一攬子計劃麼?

Hot water bottles, hand Warmers, hot cherry pit socks, electric blankets etc.
暖水瓶,暖手袋,熱櫻桃襪子,電熱毯之類的

some have survived serious health issues. They need the extra warmth to get through the winter healthy !
他們有些人挺過了嚴重的健康問題。他們格外需要溫暖來健康地熬過寒冬!

In America we have extra heated areas available in the winter for those who can not afford it at home.
在美國,我們在冬天有臨時供熱場所,提供給那些在家供不起熱的人。

For example, Our local theater provides free movies in December for families so that they can warm up during the cold winter days.
比如說,我們當地的劇院在12月份提供免費電影,使那些供不起熱的家庭在寒冬中暖合起來。

The only advantage about this world wide recession is that people become resourceful again.
這場經濟衰退唯一的好處就是,大家都變得更能隨機應變了。

10,- Paula, Nottingham, 30/11/2012 16:21
It's not only the elderly who are suffering.
不只是老者受此折磨。

My partners lost his job and we can't afford to heat our small house.
我的愛人丟了工作,我們支付不起給我們小房子供熱的費用。

Fuel poverty is not just restricted to the elderly. It's more commonplace than people think.
燃料不足不僅限於老者。這比人們想的還要司空見慣。

11.- DA, Earth, 30/11/2012 17:24
I am seriously worried about paying my energy bills this winter since the most recent price rises and no doubt there will be more to come!
我對我就快付不起今年冬天越來越貴的取暖費感到嚴重擔憂。毫無疑問的,這個費用還會越來越貴!

I am disabled and live with my disabled elderly parents. We have no choice but to spend most of our time at home as getting out and about is not easy,
我身患殘疾,與我同樣殘疾的父母同住。我們沒有別的選擇,只能花費大量的時間在家,而不是出去四處走走,那那太不容易了,

which means we have to try and keep the house a little bit warm. We have blankets, extra clothes and hot water bottles but at some points you have to put the heating on.
也就是說我們得嘗試使屋子多少暖和一點。我們有許多毯子,額外的衣服和暖水瓶,不過有些時候你還是得打開電暖氣。

We live on less than £10k for all 3 of us per year. Now they are predicting a very cold winter and it really worries me. What do they think people are supposed to do?
我們三人靠每年不足1萬鎊的花銷過活。現在又說有超強寒冬將至而這實實在在的讓我擔憂了。他們認為人們應該怎麼做啊?

Oh and in answer to the stupid person who said do these people not have families to help out - No, we are all we have for each other!
噢,這是對各寫提出愚蠢問題的人的回答,我們沒有別的家庭成員能來幫助我們,我們只有我們自己!

There will be many more deaths this winter because of these extortionate prices and food prices rising too.
今年冬天將會有更多的人因為過高的價格以及食品漲價而死去。

The gov needs to step in and do something before lives are needlessly wasted by these energy companies seeking more profits
政府應該介入做點什麼來,以防止生命在能源公司尋求利益時,毫不必要地被浪費。

12.- Trevor, Ammanford, United Kingdom
The government will do nothing about this.
政府將對此毫無作為。

They look at it as 24,000 pensions they don't have to pay out.
他們看到的不是24000個被寒冬折磨死的人,而是24000份不用再支付的養老金。

回覆

使用道具 舉報

主題

好友

積分

公民

自費五毛人士:每發一帖自己獎勵自己五毛,五美分黨所痛恨的敵人

3#
發表於 2012-12-2 19:38:22 |只看該作者

評論:以下是最被討厭的評論

13.- Donna Tell Me, Circle Line, United Kingdom,
Oh please! old people are so mean with money. It's not that expensive. Crank it up Doris
哦,求求你們啦!老人們對錢太吝嗇了,又沒多貴。翠花,把暖氣調大點。

14.- kentishlass
DID THESE 25,000 HAVE NO FAMILYS TO HELP OUT.
這25000人(這位不識數)就沒個親戚朋友幫幫忙麽。

15.- Shaun_weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom,
Why are they not using the winter fuel allowance for their heating
為什麼他們不用冬天燃料補助來取暖呢?

16.- sam, kettering,
If you are dying from cold there is something you are not telling us.
如果你是受凍而死的,那你肯定有些事沒告訴我們。

My parents live on the basic state pension and the heating is always on but they do not keep and feed animals, drink , smoke, gamble and are debt free.
我的父母靠最基本的國家退休金過活,他們的暖氣一直開著,不過他們並沒有餵養寵物、喝酒、抽煙、賭博,而且也沒有欠賬。

17.- RJimmer, Dorchester, United Kingdom,30/11/2012 20:15
Why are they not using the winter fuel allowance for their heating - Shaun_weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom, 30/11/2012 11:10 @@@@@
“為什麼不用冬季燃料補助來取暖呢?” - Shaun_weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom, 30/11/2012 11:10 @@@@@

Couldn't agree more! If the WFA was paid at the end of February, things might be different.
我太同意你的觀點了!如果冬季燃料補助在二月底支付,事情就可能會不一樣。

I got notice that my WFA will be paid in the next 3 weeks. OK if folk have to buy coal for the Winter, but most of them don't any more.
我注意到我的冬季燃料補助將會在三個星期以後被支付(也就是在聖誕節前)。ok,如果夥計們必須用這筆錢在冬天買煤,他們大部分人不再這麼幹了

Pay WFA before Xmas and we all know what most people will spend it on!
我們都知道如果冬季燃料補助在聖誕節前支付,人們會去買什麼!

18.- Brit abroad, Florida, 30/11/2012 21:17(美國潛伏於此的裝13犯,叉出去)
I suppose older folks are at more of a risk with extreme cold but I grew up in a flat with NO heating and No running hot water.
我猜老家夥們在極端寒冷的時候是挺危險的,不過我是在一層沒有取暖器、沒有熱水供應的公寓長大的。

I remember how ice would form on the inside of the windows but we coped with extra blankets and sweaters.
我記得冰是如何在窗戶內層形成的,不過我們靠特別多的毯子和毛衣應付過去了。(在模仿11樓那位殘疾人的話)

Do the older folk not dress for the weather?
老家夥們在這個天氣裏不穿衣服?

blame my ignorance on my long residence in Florida where cold means 50 degrees.
罵我無知吧,因為我長期居住在佛羅里達州,在哪裏寒冷就意味著華氏50度(攝氏10度,冷個毛線啊!!)

19.- Observer, Euro Land, Portugal, 30/11/2012
Rubbish!
垃圾!

if they are genuinely poor the state will help.
他們要是真這麼窮,那國家肯定會幫他們的啦。

If they are sitting on a house worth a fortune to leave to their greedy family,
sell it and get a little pad that is cheap to heat
要是他們害怕自己值錢的房子落到他們貪婪的家人手裏,那就賣了它,找個小公寓,那兒取暖肯定便宜。

20.- Malachy, Belfast, 30/11/2012 20:15(腦殘哪兒都有啊)Many die because they are too miserable to spend money on heating .
很多人死是因為他們太賤了不想花錢開取暖器。

回覆

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以發表回應 登錄 | 免費註冊

GMT+8, 2024-6-11 23:31

© 2015 SSKYN

回頂部